The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University
69, Anna Salai, Guindy
Chennai - 600 032
Tamil Nadu, India
: + 91 - 44 - 2235 3574, 2235 3576, 2235 3577, 2235 3578
: + 91 - 44 - 2235 3698
: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University Affiliated Colleges,
Courses offered - Click Here
The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University Act, 1987 (Act No.37 of 1987) received the assent of the President of India on 24th September, 1987. By Act No.9 of 1991, it was ordered that the Act may be called the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987. This affiliating University started functioning from July 1988 and is governed by the said Act..
The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is situated in Southern part of the City of Chennai (formerly Madras) in the State of Tamilnadu, South India. It is about 6 Km from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12km from the Chennai Central Railway Station.
It is one of the premier Medical Universities of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, late Dr.M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University in India.
This is the only Medical University in Tamilnadu capable of granting affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges, government or self - financing; and awarding degrees (until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras).
Besides Medical and Paramedical courses, the University also regulates dental education and education in the Indian systems of medicine under a single umbrella to maintain uniform and high standards of education. The University also promotes research and disseminates knowledge gained there from.
- To achieve and maintain uniformly high standards of needs-responsive medical education in the State of Tamilnadu.
- To create personnel for health manpower who will be endowed with a sense of dedication and a spirit of enquiry and will contribute substantially to the Alma Ata goals of health for all by 2010 A.D.
- To maintain uniform standards of high quality medical education throughout the state of Tamilnadu.
- To provide for instructions and training in such branches of learning as it may determine in the field of medical sciences.
- To institute degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions.
- To institute lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts required by the university and to appoint persons to such lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts.